One summer, my wife and I attended an elementary school meet and greet along with our 3rd grade daughter.
We were having a great time meeting and greeting all of the adults.
No one was paying any attention to the young girls.
Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye, I saw a child go down into the pool and I jumped to help and, praise God, I was in time to pull her to safety.
That moment when we were not looking scares me to this day.
Pool Safety is a must to protect those most vulnerable.
- Educate yourself on all pool safety equipment.
- Never leave a child by a pool unattended.
- Always have a designated non-drinking standup patrol on the deck – not in a chair, but on the deck.
- Always have a first aid kit.
- Always have an Automatic External Defibrillator (AED) on hand to shock a drowning victim back to a normal sinus rhythm. Learn how to use it.
- Always have a gate in place around the pool and use it.
- Floating toys are very attractive to children. Take the toys out of the pool when you aren’t using the pool.
- Make sure your pool is clean so you can see the bottom.
- Never enter a pool after consuming alcohol.
- Use non-slip material around your pool.
- Have the depths clearly marked on the pool bottom and on the sides.
- Do not hang lights over the pool. An electrician must be hired to make sure there is a ground fault.
- Uncovered drains on pools’ hot tubs continue to cause death either by hair getting “sucked in” or by the child’s bottom getting sucked to the drain trapping the child until drowning is certain.
- Take out the diving board.
- Don’t install a diving board.
- Teach your child to swim.
You think it will not happen to you.
Drowning is the leading cause of unintentional injury death for children ages 1-4 years.
Drowning is the leading cause of unintentional deaths for children ages 1-14 years.
It only makes sense for you to contact an experienced lawyer right away – one who has been successful for his clients – to gather and evaluate all of the liability and damage facts and is able to successfully prosecute the claim through mediation and trial.
We at the Law Offices of Bob Osburn have over 45 years of success assisting the injured and the families of those injured. Let us know when we can be of service.